Re: Running update in chunks? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Running update in chunks?
Date
Re: Running update in chunks?  (Tim Uckun <timuckun@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 21/01/13 20:09, Tim Uckun wrote:
> Just to close this up and give some guidance to future googlers...
Careful, future googlers.
> Conclusion.  Updates on postgres are slow
Nope.

> (given the default
> postgresql.conf).  I presume this is due to MVCC or the WAL or
> something and there are probably some things I can do to tweak the
> conf file to make them go faster but out of the box running an update
> on a table with lots of rows is going to cost you a lot.
Unlikely. Do you really think that a PostgreSQL installation typically
runs 100 times slower on updates than inserts and every other user has
just said "oh, that's ok then"? Or is it more likely that something
peculiar is broken on your setup.

--
   Richard Huxton