Re: pg_Restore - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: pg_Restore
Date
List pgsql-general
Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 01/21/2013 08:46 AM, bhanu udaya wrote:

>> Can we achieve this template or pg_Restore in less than 20
>> minutes time.

> Seems to me this is where Point in Time Recovery(PITR) might be
> helpful.

Maybe, if the source is on a different set of drives, to reduce
contention for storage and head movement. Either way it is down to
just a straight file copy, so it is the speed of your disk system
that is the limiting factor, not anything within PostgreSQL.

The more sure way of speeding it up is to add more spindles to your
drive array and make sure you are using a good RAID controller with
battery-backed cache.

-Kevin