Re: PostgreSQL 9.2 and PGBOUNCER - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Birta Levente
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 9.2 and PGBOUNCER
Date
List pgsql-general
!! Please do not top post !!

On 08/01/2013 10:21, ac@hsk.hk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Below is the pgbouncer.ini
> ===
> [databases]
> ;  use db:postgres for connection testing
> postgres = port=5432 dbname=postgres

As I said before, with this you can only connect database postgres.

Maybe you want:
* = port=5432
With these you can connect all databases in your cluster.

> [pgbouncer]
> listen_port = 6543
> listen_addr = 127.0.0.1
watch this: maybe you want to connect from the outside: listen_addr = *

> admin_users = postgres
> auth_type = md5
> auth_file = users.txt
I don't know if on ubuntu need or not specify the full path to the
users.txt.

> server_reset_query = DISCARD ALL;
> ignore_startup_parameters = application_name
> logfile = pgbouncer.log
> pidfile = pgbouncer.pid
> pool_mode = session
> default_pool_size = 20
> log_pooler_errors = 0
> ===
>
> If I want to test the connection from my application to DB postgres via pgbouncer, which port should I use, post 6543
orport 5432?

The pooler is between client and postgresql server. So, if you want to
connect through the pooler you need to connect on 6543.

But I think you really need to read some documentation about pgbouncer.

> Thanks
>

> On 8 Jan 2013, at 3:13 PM, Birta Levente wrote:
>
>> On 08/01/2013 08:40, ac@hsk.hk wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> My PostgreSQL is 9.2.1 in Ubuntu 12.04, I need to set up a connection
>>> pool by using pgbouncer.
>>>

>>> I used "apt-get install pgbouncer", after configuring it, I can now
>>> connect to pgbouncer and can use all pgbouncer SHOW commands,  however:
>>>
>>> Q1) Is  version "1.4.2/bouncer" the right one for PostgreSQL 9.2?
>>> $ psql -U postgres -p 6543 pgbouncer
>>> psql.bin (9.2.1, server 1.4.2/bouncer)
>>> WARNING: psql.bin version 9.2, server version 1.4.
>>> Some psql features might not work.
>>> Type "help" for help.
>>> No entry for terminal type "xterm-color";
>>> using dumb terminal settings.
>>>

>> I think the best is the latest: v1.5.4
>>

>>> Q2) if I try the general psql commands, I got errors
>>> for example:
>>> $ psql -U postgres -p 6543 pgbouncer
>>> pgbouncer=# \l
>>> ERROR:  invalid command 'SELECT d.datname as "Name",
>>> pg_catalog.pg_get_userbyid(d.datdba) as "Owner",
>>> pg_catalog.pg_encoding_to_char(d.encoding) as "Encoding",