Re: Dedicated PostgreSQL System - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Hastie
Subject Re: Dedicated PostgreSQL System
Date
List pgsql-general
On 02/01/13 14:30, Carlos Mennens wrote:
Hello All,

I'm trying to understand what exact parameters or configurations are
adjusted when a PostgreSQL database system is going to be used as a
'stand-alone' or 'dedicated' server versus a shared or embedded
database system? I have a server that's only going to be dedicated to
running Linux and PostgreSQL software. Can someone please help me
understand a few things I need to view or test with in order to get
the most utilization from PostgreSQL & the dedicated hardware it will
sit on top?

--
Carlos Mennens

I've found the following publication very useful, especially information on the various file systems you can use to support the actual database files:-

PostgreSQL 9.0 High Performance
Paperback:
442 pages
Publisher:
PACKT PUBLISHING (30 Oct 2010)
Language:
English
ISBN-10:
184951030X
ISBN-13:
978-1849510301

You can get a copy from Amazon (other online webstores are available...........)