Re: New Zealand Postgis DBA job vacancy - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: New Zealand Postgis DBA job vacancy
Date
List pgsql-general
On 27/12/12 07:54, Berend Tober wrote:
pcreso@pcreso.com wrote:
Mat be of interest to someone here...

http://careers.eroad.co.nz/vacancies/showVacancy/11

Brent Wood

I attended a technical conference in the US recently, and someone posted an Auckland job flyer (not this same organization, though). He included a statement regarding New Zealand expatriate work visas and something about government bias against more experienced workers. He did not phrase it like that literally, of course, but rather emphasized that it was notably easier for foreigners under age 30 to get permission to work. Can anyone with direct experience comment on this government-sanctioned discrimination?

I think it might be that they want healthy workers who likely will pay lots of tax before requiring to much medical treatment - most people use the public health care system in New Zealand, so it as assumed you will not be relying on private medical insurance.

If any PostgreSQL people are coming to Auckland, I may be able to put them up for a short time - depending on consultation with 'she who must be obeyed'.  :-)  We live off the Albany Highway on the North Shore.  Our son (15) has been a 'travel consultant' since the age of 5, he is able to give good advice on both local and international travel!

Cheers,
Gavin