Re: Is there a meaningful benchmark? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Will Rutherdale (rutherw)
Subject Re: Is there a meaningful benchmark?
Date
List pgsql-general
I've had lots of experience fighting with the LOAD FROM command with an
old application using an old version of Informix.  When the data to be
loaded is large enough, Informix (dbaccess) hits a wall.  Tracking it
down with tools generally shows that zillions of locks are accumulating.
The system thrashes.

So far I haven't found this problem with Postgres.

Incidentally, in case people are interested in hearing the follow-up to
my original message, my home-cooked benchmark with lots of processes
doing tons of updates seemed to initially show MyISAM winning over
Postgres.

However I spent some time reading what I could from the manual on
performance improvement and realized that commits might be an issue.  I
moved a commit() call out of the main loop, and bang!  Postgres showed a
substantial performance advantage over MyISAM.

-Will