Re: Doc patch making firm recommendation for setting the value of commit_delay - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Doc patch making firm recommendation for setting the value of commit_delay
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/15/2012 04:56 PM, Greg Smith wrote:

> I would rather see this just turn into one of the things a more
> general tuning tool knew how to do, executing against a fully setup
> system. Having a useful implementation of commit_delay and useful docs
> on it seems like enough of a jump forward for one release.  Moving
> fully into auto-tuning before getting more field feedback on how that
> works out is pretty aggressive.

It'll also potentially make it harder to get reproducible results in
benchmarking and testing across repeated runs, cause confusion when
someone relocates a DB or changes hardware, and slow down initdb (and
thus testing).

I'd be all for making it part of a "test my hardware and tune my DB"
tool, but not such a fan of doing it at initdb time. Making initdb less
predictable and more complicated sounds like asking for trouble.