Re: [WIP] pg_ping utility - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [WIP] pg_ping utility
Date
Re: [WIP] pg_ping utility  (Phil Sorber <phil@omniti.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/22/12 11:47 AM, Phil Sorber wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 6:20 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Phil Sorber <phil@omniti.com> writes:
>>> Here is the new patch. I renamed the utility from pg_ping to pingdb to
>>> go along with the naming convention of src/bin/scripts.
>>
>> Uh, no, that's not a step forward.  Leaving out a "pg" prefix from those
>> script names is universally agreed to have been a mistake.  We've not
>> felt that changing the legacy names is worth the amount of pain it'd
>> cause, but that doesn't mean that we should propagate the mistake into
>> brand new executable names.
>>
>>                         regards, tom lane
>
> Ok. I asked about this and got no response so I assume there were no
> strong opinions. I have reverted to the pg_ping name. Patches
> attached.

Quick review ...

Code:

*************** install: all installdirs
*** 54,59 ****
--- 55,61 ----       $(INSTALL_PROGRAM) clusterdb$(X)  '$(DESTDIR)$(bindir)'/clusterdb$(X)       $(INSTALL_PROGRAM)
vacuumdb$(X)  '$(DESTDIR)$(bindir)'/vacuumdb$(X)       $(INSTALL_PROGRAM) reindexdb$(X)
'$(DESTDIR)$(bindir)'/reindexdb$(X)
+       $(INSTALL_PROGRAM) pg_ping$(X)     '$(DESTDIR)$(bindir)'/pg_ping$(X)  installdirs:       $(MKDIR_P)
'$(DESTDIR)$(bindir)'

Whitespace misaligned

+         exit(3); // Return UNKNOWN

No // comments.

+     while (NULL != conn_opt_ptr->keyword)

Better writte as

while (conn_opt_ptr->keyword != NULL)

or

while (conn_opt_ptr->keyword)

Also, it seems that about 75% of the patch is connection options processing.  How about
we get rid of all that and just have them specify a connection string?  It would be a break
with tradition, but maybe it's time for something new.

Functionality:

I'm missing the typical ping functionality to ping continuously.  If we're going to call
it pg_ping, it ought to do something similar to ping, I think.