Re: auto-sizing wal_buffers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: auto-sizing wal_buffers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I'm going with hacks.  Any API that requires you to print to a string
> so you can turn around and immediately convert it back to an integer
> is not too swift.

Oh, you're complaining about SetConfigOption, not the assign hooks.

Not sure if it's really worth refactoring that.  The problem is that
there are lots and lots and lots of places that need to call that
*without* any dependency on what the datatype of the target GUC option
really is.  There are a small number where we do know the type and
conversion to a string is just overhead.  If any of those were
performance-critical it might be worth worrying about, but this one
certainly isn't.