Re: BUG #7592: Installation of PostGresql at c:\Progam files folder does not create right permission on data folder - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: BUG #7592: Installation of PostGresql at c:\Progam files folder does not create right permission on data folder
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 10/09/12 10:07 PM, devenmthaker@gmail.com wrote:

> Bug reference:      7592
> Logged by:          Deven
> Email address:      devenmthaker@gmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.0.3
> Operating system:   Windows 2008 R2 WITH SP1 (64 BITS)
>
> We are installing our application which internally call
> postgresql-9.0.3-2-windows_x64.exe to install postgresql under c:\program
> files folder. But initialization of datbase failed with log that
> user(administrator) does not have enough permission on data folder.
> Can anyone help me out to address this issue?

Is your application installer invoking admin privs via the UAC elevation
thing prior to running the postgres installer?      it probably
should.   Even if you're logged on as 'Administrator', you're normally
running in a less privileged mode, and you have to get past that
privilege elevation prompt before you can write to Program Files,
install services, and other such similar activities.