Re: Can the string literal syntax for function definitions please be dropped ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Timothy Madden
Subject Re: Can the string literal syntax for function definitions please be dropped ?
Date
List pgsql-general

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 10:38 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:

> There is a SQL standard for this, and other DBMS look like they found a way
>
> How come it can not be done ?

It *can* be done, but it won't be done. At least not by default. You might
get better traction if you perhaps argue for a flag to pg_dump to
exhibit the behavior you want. It has a small chance of being accepted,
but a much greater chance than changing the default behavior.

What I want is compatible with existing code and the current default behavior.
Just look for a LANGUAGE SQL declaration in the function header (before the body).

If found expect the in-place definition of the function body to follow.
If not found expect a string literal that holds the function body to follow, with the
LANGUAGE declaration after (default behavior).

I am interested in the functions I write by hand as an application developer; pg_dump
may dump the functions any way it finds suitable (although I would still prefer the
conforming form).

Thank you,
Timothy Madden