Re: RFD: schemas and different kinds of Postgres objects - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: RFD: schemas and different kinds of Postgres objects
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org> writes:
> One of the things schemas have to support is essentially a PATH specifier.

Yes, but...

> So all we need to do is have all of the schemas created in a new DB have
> path specifiers pulling in all of the other schemas. Thus we can make a
> schema-savy system act as if it has only one namespace.

When you create a new user, do all those path specifiers for the
existing users magically update themselves?  Seems like maintenance
would be a pain.

Fernando's "any" idea is probably a cleaner way to handle it if we
wanted to do things like that.  But I still think it'll be safer and
more controllable if we provide a "public" namespace instead; see
followup discussions.