Re: BUG #7596: Problem with /etc/init.d/postgresql.9.x file - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: BUG #7596: Problem with /etc/init.d/postgresql.9.x file
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 10/11/12 2:29 AM, david.peyrieres@meteo.fr wrote:
> In my case, I've 5 databases on same server. Each database is start/stop
> with this file 'service postgresql9.x start'.

one database 'cluster' (instance of the postmaster, with a corresponding
$PGDATA directory) can have any number of databases associated with it,
they all share the same PID file.

I'm not sure of ANY advantage of running multiple different instances of
postgres for seperate databases.

the way the newer RHEL  init.d files are setup, if you DO want to run
multiple copies, you create seperate init.d files, like postgresql-9.1a,
postgresql-9.1b, etc, these can all be symlinks to the same
postgresql-9.1 file.  you then create corresponding files in
/etc/sysconfig/pgsql/<samename> with PGDATA=/path/to/unique/pgdata  and
PGPORT=54xx unique ports... like, as an example...

# cat /etc/sysconfig/pgsql/postgresql-9.0b
PGENGINE=/usr/pgsql-${PGMAJORVERSION}/bin
PGPORT=5433
PGDATA=/ssd/pgsql/${PGMAJORVERSION}/data
PGLOG=/ssd/pgsql/${PGMAJORVERSION}/pgstartup.log

# ls -la /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql-9.0b
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 Oct 23  2011 /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql-9.0b
-> postgresql-9.0

by doing it this way, you're not editing any files that are under RPM
package management, so you're not going to get bit during updates.