Re: Postgres DB Migration from 8.3 to 9.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Postgres DB Migration from 8.3 to 9.1
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/11/12 7:15 PM, Vishalakshi Navaneethakrishnan wrote:
> We have our production environment database server in Postgres 8.3
> version. we have planned to upgrade to lastest version 9.1. Dump from
> 8.3  and restore in Postgres 9.1 takes more than 5 hours. Any other
> quick method to upgrade from 8.3 to 9.1. We need to reduce our
> downtime  below 1 hour. Any Possibilities..?

is it the dump or the restore taking the lions share of that time?

I don't know if pg_upgrade supports 8.3, but that would be one
approach.  getting it setup to work correctly can require some
tinkering, but once you have that sorted, you start with a base backup
of the 8.3 file system, and pg_upgrade 'converts' it to the newer
version.  you need both runtimes setup side by side so either can be run
as pg_upgrade will need to start the old version in order to dump its
metadata catalogs prior to migrating the data files. if you put both
data directories on the same file system, it can use hard linking to
'move' the datafiles.