Re: modifying views - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Decibel!
Subject Re: modifying views
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Jul 29, 2008, at 9:12 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> Unfortunately, it looks to me like a fully general implementation of
> this feature would be Really Hard, because a CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW
> command, beyond attempting to add, drop, or retype columns, could also
> attempt to reorder them.  A cursory inspection of the situation
> suggests this would require modifying the attnum values in
> pg_attribute, which looks like a nightmare.

FWIW, there is desire to be able to re-order columns within real
tables, too. But before that can happen we need to divorce
presentation order from on-page order (which is actually desirable
for other reasons), but that's an awfully big task that no one's
taken on.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org