Re: modifying views - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: modifying views
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 05:57:26PM -0500, Decibel! wrote:
> FWIW, there is desire to be able to re-order columns within real
> tables, too. But before that can happen we need to divorce
> presentation order from on-page order (which is actually desirable
> for other reasons), but that's an awfully big task that no one's
> taken on.

Actually, ISTR that someone posted a patch and it was rejected on the
basis that it made the backend coding too confusing and would cause
bugs to creep in (by using the wrong position during coding). I don't
buy the argument though, since the end goal is to have logical position
!= physical position, so I don't see how bugs could survive very long.

Have a nice day,