Re: Application using PostgreSQL as a back end (experienced programmers please) - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Bill Dika
Subject Re: Application using PostgreSQL as a back end (experienced programmers please)
Date
Re: Application using PostgreSQL as a back end (experienced programmers please)  (<operationsengineer1@yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-novice
Hi Daniel:

Thanks for the quick response.

I intend to do this in Linux, using all open source software. I'm not too concerned with getting it to run in Windows. I only use Windows at work and only rarely do I boot into it at home. I hope to eventually give back something of some value to the open source community. If I can create a useful Linux application at home that is applicable to work, maybe sometime in the future I can get Linux on a desktop at work. We currently have Linux as a file server at work for backup, but all the desktop machines run Windows. Sorry I wasn't clear about this in my initial post.

As for my thought style, I tend to think mathematically and structurally (everything has it's place). After all I'm an accountant, who does a lot of income tax work for clients :-). Ideally I would like a development environment where I can create forms with text box, combo box and list box widgets, something like MS Access or PgAccess but offering a little more power and control.

Are any of the languages or environments I mentioned suitable for this? My initial thought is that a web interface would be a little too limiting. I would expect my users to be able to install without an expert.

Thanks.

Regards,
Bill Dika

On 11/12/05, Daniel Staal <DStaal@usa.net > wrote:
--As of Saturday, November 12, 2005 1:58 PM -0500, Bill Dika is alleged to
have said:

> My Problem:
>
> I have introductory books on Python, Perl and Tcl/Tk. I feel comfortable
> setting up the database in PostgreSQL, but in creating the GUI front end,
> I'm not sure how to invest my time. Should I use Tcl/Tk, Python with
> Tkinter or wxPython (using BOA Constructor?), Perl with ???. Which will
> get me most productive in the shortest amount of time (considering I'm
> not a programmer). Which combination works best with PostgreSQL? I expect
> the income tax program to be computationally intensive but I also expect
> most of this computation to take place in PostgreSQL and not the front
> end.

--As for the rest, it is mine.

(I'm not sure if this is the best list for this question, but I can't think
of a better one to refer you to.)

What type of front end are you considering using?  Web-based?  Native
Windows?  Cross-platform?  If want to build one, would another type be
useful/possible later?

How do you intend to have people use the program?  Install it themselves?
Run a web-service?  Have an expert install it for them?

Just trying to get some idea of the direction you intend to go with the
program.  You could go with Visual Basic (or it's close cousin, RealBASIC),
as a first suggestion.  That would allow you to use your current
programming knowledge easily.  You just treat PostgreSQL as another OBDC
data source.

I like some of the above languages, but they and others have strengths and
weaknesses for different purposes, and for different thought styles.  Which
is best for your project will depend on the project and yourself.

Daniel T. Staal

This email copyright the author.  Unless otherwise noted, you
the contents for non-commercial purposes.  This copyright will
local copyright law.