Re: is JSON really "a type" (Re: data to json enhancements) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: is JSON really "a type" (Re: data to json enhancements)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 09/29/2012 05:01 PM, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> On 09/29/2012 05:40 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>
>> I still think Tom's suggestion is the best and simplest way to do that.
> which Toms suggestion you mean here ?
>
> The 3. mentioned above was for making possible 2 separate ways to
> convert (serialise/quote/escape and parse/check-for-valid-json) string
> to json and afair not about hstore to json.

Er, what? yes, I meant option 3, and it is a perfect mechanism for doing
conversion of an hstore field inside datum_to_json: the code would look
for a cast to the new type (whatever we call it) and use that instead of
the normal text representation.

> I'm also looking forward for an easy way or two to populate a record
> from json and extract an array from json.

I am prepared to take this on - at least starting with json to array
which I think is the simpler case. I have some ideas about how to do
this and have done a bit of experimental work along these lines.
Personally I'd be inclined to make it do a conversion to text[] and then
cast from that to anything else we needed.

cheers

andrew