Re: Patch: add timing of buffer I/O requests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Patch: add timing of buffer I/O requests
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On mån, 2012-04-23 at 22:03 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Perhaps, but nobody's explained what we gain out of NOT using numeric.

> So if you want to have possibly different internal and external
> representations, why not use interval for the external one?

That doesn't add any usefulness, only extra complication for clients
that want to do more arithmetic with the values.  Also, as was pointed
out earlier, we have a hard-coded restriction to microsecond precision
with the default implementation of interval; and it's not hard to
foresee the day when that won't do.