Re: Draft release notes complete - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Draft release notes complete
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 09/05/2012 09:59 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Bruce Momjian (bruce@momjian.us) wrote:
>>> How often do you want? After all,
>>> <http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/index.html> is
>>> presumably going to keep pointing to where it now points.
>> Well, the old code checked every five minutes, and it rebuilt in 4
>> minutes, so there was a max of 10 minutes delay.
> I'm a bit mystified why we build them far *more* often than necessary..
> Do we really commit documentation updates more than 6 times per day?
> Wouldn't it be reasonably straight-forward to set up a commit-hook that
> either kicks off a build itself, drops a file marker some place to
> signal a cron job to do it, or something similar?
>
> Have to agree with Bruce on this one, for my part.  I wonder if the
> change to delay the crons was due to lack of proper locking or
> tracking, or perhaps a lack of a filter for just changes which would
> impact the documentation..

The buildfarm code does not run if there are no changes. The job runs,
sees that there are no changes, and exits.

And it has no problewm with collisions either. The code is guaranteed
self-exclusionary. You can run it every minute from cron if you like and
you will not get a collision. If it finds a running instance of itself
it exits. Some people run the buildfarm script from cron every 15
minutes or so relying on the locking mechanism.

And building the docs doesn't have a very high impact. And it takes
about 2 minutes.

So, many of the assumptions / speculations in your email are wrong ;-)

cheers

andrew