Re: pg_upgrade diffs on WIndows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: pg_upgrade diffs on WIndows
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 09/05/2012 03:50 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

>>> OK, I now have a complete handle on what's going on here, and
>>> withdraw my earlier statement that I am confused on this issue :-)
>>>
>>> First, one lot of CRs is produced because the pg_upgrade test script
>>> calls pg_dumpall without -f and redirects that to a file, which
>>> Windows kindly opens on text mode. The solution to that is to change
>>> the test script to use pg_dumpall -f instead.
>>>
>>> The second lot of CRs (seen in the second dump file in the diff i
>>> previously sent) is produced by pg_upgrade writing its output in
>>> text mode, which turns LF into CRLF. The solution to that is the
>>> patch to dump.c I posted, which, as Bruce observed, does the same
>>> thing that pg_dumpall does. Arguably, it should also open the input
>>> file in binary, so that if there really is a CRLF in the dump it
>>> won't be eaten.
>> So, right now we are only add \r for function bodies, which is mostly
>> harmless, but what if a function body has strings with an embedded
>> newlines?  What about creating a table with newlines in its identifiers:
>>
>> CREATE TABLE "a
>> b" ("c
>> d" int);
>>
>> If \r is added in there, it would be a data corruption problem. Can you
>> test that?
>
> These are among the reasons why I am suggesting opening the file in
> binary mode. You're right, that would be data corruption.
>
> I can set up a check, but it will take a bit of time.

As expected, we get a difference in field names. Here's the extract from
the dumps diff (* again represents CR):

      CREATE TABLE hasnewline (   !     "x      y" integer,   !     "a      b" text      );
   --- 5220,5228 ----      --
      CREATE TABLE hasnewline (   !     "x*      y" integer,   !     "a*      b" text      );

If we open the input and output files in binary mode in pg_upgrade's
dump.c this disappears.

Given this, I think we have no choice but to apply the patch, all the
way back to 9.0 in fact.

cheers

andrew