Re: Cascading replication and recovery_target_timeline='latest' - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Cascading replication and recovery_target_timeline='latest'
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 05.09.2012 01:03, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas<hlinnaka@iki.fi>  writes:
>>
>> No, only cascading replication is affected. In non-cascading situation, the
>> timeline never changes in the master. It's only in cascading mode that you
>> have a problem, where the standby can cross timelines while it's replaying
>> the WAL, and also sending it over to cascading standby.
>
> It seems to me that it applies to connecting a standby to a newly
> promoted standby too, as the timeline did change in this case too.

I was worried about that too at first, but Fujii pointed out that's OK:
see last paragraph at
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2012-08/msg01203.php.

If you connect to a standby that was already promoted to new master,
it's no different from connecting to a master in general. It works. If
you connect just before a standby is promoted, it works because a
cascading standby pays attention to the recovery target timeline, and
the pointer to last replayed WAL record. Promoting a standby doesn't
change recovery target timeline or the last replayed WAL record, it sets
XLogCtl->ThisTimeLineID. So the walsender in cascading mode will send
the WAL up to where the promotion happened, but will stop there until
it's terminated by the signal.

- Heikki