Re: average query performance measuring - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Karl Denninger
Subject Re: average query performance measuring
Date
List pgsql-performance

On 8/21/2012 1:53 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
* Rick Otten (rotten@manta.com) wrote:
It seems like we almost have everything we need to track this in the stats tables, but not quite.  I was hoping the folks on this list would have some tips on how to get query performance trends over time out of each node in my cluster.
I'm afraid the best answer to this is, honestly, "upgrade to 9.2 once
it's out"..

http://pgeoghegan.blogspot.com/2012/03/much-improved-statement-statistics.html

If what's described there doesn't match what you're looking for, then
please let us know what else you'd like, so we can further improve
things in that area..
Thanks,
	Stephen

That looks EXTREMELY useful and I'm looking forward to checking it out in 9.2; I have asked a similar question about profiling actual queries in the past and basically it came down to "turn on explain or run a separate explain yourself since the app knows what's similar and what's not", which of course has hideous performance implications (as the query basically executes twice.)

--
-- Karl Denninger
The Market Ticker ®