Re: average query performance measuring - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: average query performance measuring
Date
List pgsql-performance
Karl,

* Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net) wrote:
> That looks EXTREMELY useful and I'm looking forward to checking it out
> in 9.2; I have asked a similar question about profiling actual queries
> in the past and basically it came down to "turn on explain or run a
> separate explain yourself since the app knows what's similar and what's
> not", which of course has hideous performance implications (as the query
> basically executes twice.)

Just to clarify one thing- if your application is currently using
prepared queries for everything, you can probably use the existing
contrib module.  The difference is that, with 9.2, it'll actually do
normalization of non-PREPARED queries and will include some additional
statistics and information.

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Attachment