Query output is misleading due to grid cell size - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Evan Martin
Subject Query output is misleading due to grid cell size
Date
List pgadmin-support
Running the latest trunk build (g7ac0c60)

When pgAdmin displays the query output in a grid each column seems to be
sized based on the header size and the value is truncated as needed.
There is no indication that it's been truncated. This sometimes makes
the result highly misleading and I've just spent 5-10 minutes scratching
my head about why a function is returning such a strange result!

Here's what the output looked like: http://i48.tinypic.com/5fkdmp.png
... but resizing the cell shows something very different:
http://i47.tinypic.com/2ennsqv.png

I would suggest that pgAdmin:

1) Always truncate the end of the string, not the start
2) Show some indication that the string has been truncated, eg. append
"..." or show some subtle overlay with a wavy line - as long as there's
something.
3) For numeric types make the column wide enough to always show at least
the part before the decimal point (or, for integer types, the entire
number).

Regards,

Evan