Re: misleading ALTER TABLE SET STORAGE - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: misleading ALTER TABLE SET STORAGE
Date
List pgsql-docs
Euler Taveira <euler@timbira.com.br> writes:
> On 08-11-2016 11:27, vodevsh@gmail.com wrote:
>> Was reading
>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/storage-toast.html and the
>> bit with "...table column can be altered with ALTER TABLE SET STORAGE..."
>> appeared misleading to me.

> AFAICS ALTER TABLE SET STORAGE means ALTER TABLE ... ALTER COLUMN SET
> STORAGE. There is no ALTER TABLE SET STORAGE per table. It seems you are
> confusing with ALTER TABLE SET (storage_parameter = value, ...).

> Perhaps, we should use the complete command (ALTER TABLE tablename ALTER
> COLUMN colname SET STORAGE storagetype) or link ALTER TABLE to avoid
> confusion.

Our usual practice is to insert ellipses where there are omissions,
so this probably ought to read "ALTER TABLE ... SET STORAGE".  We could
go with "ALTER TABLE ... ALTER COLUMN ... SET STORAGE", but that's
more verbose and not any more correct.

A link might not be a bad thing either, but it's sort of an independent
question.

            regards, tom lane