Re: misleading ALTER TABLE SET STORAGE - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Euler Taveira
Subject Re: misleading ALTER TABLE SET STORAGE
Date
List pgsql-docs
On 08-11-2016 11:27, vodevsh@gmail.com wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/storage-toast.html
>
> Hi,
> Was reading
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/storage-toast.html and the
> bit with "...table column can be altered with ALTER TABLE SET STORAGE..."
> appeared misleading to me. You don't set storage per table you set it per
> column, so "ALTER TABLE ... ALTER COLUMN SET STORAGE" would look more
> appropriate. I even checked
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/sql-altertable.html where it
> looks quite clear "ALTER [ COLUMN ] column_name SET STORAGE { PLAIN |
> EXTERNAL | EXTENDED | MAIN }"...
> Anyway, with all respect to pg documentation and pg in general, I think this
> bit should look different.

AFAICS ALTER TABLE SET STORAGE means ALTER TABLE ... ALTER COLUMN SET
STORAGE. There is no ALTER TABLE SET STORAGE per table. It seems you are
confusing with ALTER TABLE SET (storage_parameter = value, ...).

Perhaps, we should use the complete command (ALTER TABLE tablename ALTER
COLUMN colname SET STORAGE storagetype) or link ALTER TABLE to avoid
confusion.

--
   Euler Taveira                   Timbira - http://www.timbira.com.br/