Re: Need help with postgresql/apache/php optimisation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lincoln Yeoh
Subject Re: Need help with postgresql/apache/php optimisation
Date
List pgsql-general
At 09:18 PM 2/18/2004 +0100, Froggy / Froggy Corp. wrote:
>         For information, i have a Celeron 1.2Ghz with 256Mb, IDE drive,
> enough
>bandewitch, and about 3000 hit per day. Its postgresql 7.2.lastone,
>apache 1.3.lastone, linux (redhat), and the last 2.4 kernel after the
>exploit problem. Its not 'my' server, so i cant upgrade anything of it

If it's a P4 family Celeron then that's not doing you any favours - those
are crippled CPUs, but that doesn't seem to be your main problem.

Assuming your IDE/ATA drive is on /dev/hda what does:
  hdparm -i /dev/hda
say?

Ideally your ATA drive should be using one of the udma modes. Make sure you
are using the 80 pin ATA cables.

If your DB is as small as you say, even if you get all your 2000 hits a day
spread over just 20-200 seconds you should do ok. ATA hdds since the past 3
years can do 100 I/Os a sec.

Even with random seeks you can get at least 5-7MB a sec (typically more -
11MB/sec?) on a 7200 rpm HDD - assuming 10-15msec average seek times, files
that have at least 64KB or 128KB contiguous chunks and a smart enough O/S
to realize that.

1MB/sec is pretty crappy for any desktop ATA HDD that's less than 3-4 years
old. If your ATA HDD is crap, replace it.

Link.