Re: pg_dump / pg_dumpall / memory issues - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lincoln Yeoh
Subject Re: pg_dump / pg_dumpall / memory issues
Date
List pgsql-general
At 01:44 AM 4/10/2003 -0400, Ericson Smith wrote:

>Hmmm... that might be an interesting solution. We do have a slower standby
>DB, that would be excellent for that purpose. It would be an added
>incentive too, because the standby DB would be hot after backup. I'm gonna
>give this a shot and report back. I guess we can do a pg_dumpall from the
>standby DB as soon as the main DB has finished backing up too!

With tee you can load to a staging db (only switch it to standby if the
dump is ok) and write to a file at the same time. Could be better if the
backup file is on a different disk/storage hardware.

I normally pipe a pg_dump through gzip to a file - need to justify >>1GHz
cpus ;).

Link.