Re: Non Matching Records in Two Tables - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Frank Bax
Subject Re: Non Matching Records in Two Tables
Date
List pgsql-sql
At 04:10 PM 2/8/06, Ken Hill wrote:
>I need some help with a bit of SQL. I have two tables. I want to find
>records in one table that don't match records in another table based on a
>common column in the two tables. Both tables have a column named 'key100'.
>I was trying something like:
>
>SELECT count(*)
>FROM table1, table2
>WHERE (table1.key100 != table2.key100);
>
>But the query is very slow and I finally just cancel it. Any help is very
>much appreciated.

vacuum analyse table1;

vacuum analyse table2;

select count(*) from table1 full outer join table2 on
table1.key100=table2.key100 where table1.key100 is null or table2.key100 is
null;

If this is also slow, post output of "EXPLAIN ANALYSE SELECT ...."