Re: Default Value in Table Setup Help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adam Kavan
Subject Re: Default Value in Table Setup Help
Date
List pgsql-general
At 02:57 PM 8/18/03 -0400, Dev wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I am working on setting up a table that will append a sequence to the end
>of the value inserted.
>Example;
>INSERT INTO test (test) VALUES ('abcd');
>And have the data in the database be;
>abcd0001
>
>Now I do have things setup else where were the default value for the field
>is such:
>default ('abcd'::text || lpad(text(nextval('test_sequence'::text)), 4,
>'0'::text))
>
>But i want the "abcd" or what erver to be added in the insert?
>
>What am I missing to make this happen?

I don't think you can do what you want to do with a column
default.  Instead you want to look at the rewrite rules.  You can find
information about them here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/interactive/sql-createrule.html

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone here will correct me :).

--- Adam Kavan
--- akavan@cox.net