Re: newbie and no idea - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew L. Gould
Subject Re: newbie and no idea
Date
List pgsql-general
On Monday 18 August 2003 01:41 pm, Aaron wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 21:25, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> > You can try
> >
> > If you know root's password,
>
> I just installed postgres from rpm and I didn't add passwords. I
> certainly don't know the postgres root password...
>
> maybe I should reinstall postgres??
> Aaron

By the looks of your command line prompts, "[root@bzq-218-14-208 aamehl]#",
you are already logged in as root.  Root doesn't need to know another user's
password to change it -- just change it:

[root@bzq-218-14-208 aamehl]# passwd postgres

You will then be prompted for the new password.

Also, root doesn't need a password to become another user:

[root@bzq-218-14-208 aamehl]# su postgres

Although this sounds great, this kind of power justifies the creation of a
regular (not a superuser) user account for routine use, especially if you are
a newbie.

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould