Re: ALTER USER does not work - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From pippo@bellnet.ca
Subject Re: ALTER USER does not work
Date
List pgsql-novice
At 05:42 PM 1/10/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>At 02:23 PM 1/10/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>>PJ,
>>
>> > postgresql 7.3.1 - cannot change user either from command line psql
>> > or from Webmin.
>> > I just migrated a database from 7.2 to 7.3 .  On the 7.2 box, the
>> > user had a password and the website functioned fine. On the 7.3 box,
>> > the wesite does not log on properly and I suspect it is because the
>> > database is not being correctly accessed. I am unable to change the
>> > username on the 7.3 box to have a password. I seem to be able to
>> > delete the user but not set it with a password or with NOCREATEDB or
>> > NOCREATEUSER.
>> > Is there a setting in postgresql.conf or pg_hba.conf that need to be
>> > changed? Do the access priviledges need to be change from trust to
>> > password? (The machine is only on the local LAN, so security is not
>> > an issue for now.
>> > I'm a little lost.
>> > Thanks for any help.
>>
>>can you post the exact text of your ALTER USER command, and the error
>>message that you get?
>
>su pgsql
>psql database
>ALTER USER username WITH PASSWORD password NOCREATEDB NOCREATEUSER
>
>There is no error message.
>I do restart posgresql and then check on Webmin. It always shows the same
>configuration for the username: Requires password? No; Can create
>databases? No; Can create users? No; Valid until Forever.
>I can delete the username and when I create a new one with same name but
>with new password, the result is the same. :((
CORRECTION!!! (I forgot to finish the command with the semicolon ";" and I
did not enter the password with single quotes)
However, I just tried again:

# su pgsql
$ psql template1
template1=#  ALTER USER username WITH PASSWORD 'password' NOCREATEDB
NOCREATEUSER;
ALTER USER
template1=#

Webmin, still does no register the change.

PJ