Re: ALTER USER does not work - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From pippo@bellnet.ca
Subject Re: ALTER USER does not work
Date
List pgsql-novice
At 02:23 PM 1/10/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>PJ,
>
> > postgresql 7.3.1 - cannot change user either from command line psql
> > or from Webmin.
> > I just migrated a database from 7.2 to 7.3 .  On the 7.2 box, the
> > user had a password and the website functioned fine. On the 7.3 box,
> > the wesite does not log on properly and I suspect it is because the
> > database is not being correctly accessed. I am unable to change the
> > username on the 7.3 box to have a password. I seem to be able to
> > delete the user but not set it with a password or with NOCREATEDB or
> > NOCREATEUSER.
> > Is there a setting in postgresql.conf or pg_hba.conf that need to be
> > changed? Do the access priviledges need to be change from trust to
> > password? (The machine is only on the local LAN, so security is not
> > an issue for now.
> > I'm a little lost.
> > Thanks for any help.
>
>can you post the exact text of your ALTER USER command, and the error
>message that you get?

su pgsql
psql database
ALTER USER username WITH PASSWORD password NOCREATEDB NOCREATEUSER

There is no error message.
I do restart posgresql and then check on Webmin. It always shows the same
configuration for the username: Requires password? No; Can create
databases? No; Can create users? No; Valid until Forever.
I can delete the username and when I create a new one with same name but
with new password, the result is the same. :((

Thanks in advance...
PJ