Re: Shared Memory Sizing - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug Fields
Subject Re: Shared Memory Sizing
Date
List pgsql-general
>I advise in my hardware tuning guide that it be increased until paging
>starts, then reduce it, and start around 25%.  Is that OK?

This is fine up to a point.

My PostgreSQL server has 8gb ram (running under 2.4.18). I can't allocate
2gb shared because that basically takes up all the RAM of any individual
process, since the i386 kernel can only access 2 or 3 gigs of RAM (it saves
one or two for the kernel).

So, I've set it to 256megs of shared, and I'll increase it from there as
necessary. The rest, I hope, will be used to keep pages in cache by the
operating system, which will hopefully be able to move them into the shared
memory relatively quickly.

Cheers,

Doug