Re: Shared Memory Sizing - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Shared Memory Sizing
Date
Re: Shared Memory Sizing  (Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>)
Re: Shared Memory Sizing  ("Glen Parker" <glenebob@nwlink.com>)
List pgsql-general
Curt Sampson wrote:

> Just going back through old mail, I notice this. So I'm not the only one
> with this opinion. I've seen, at least twice in the last week or so,
> people make the mistake of devoting about half their memory to postgres
> shared memory buffers (the wost thing you can do!). Would someone care
> to go around and find all the spots that talk about this and update them
> to have more reasonable advice?

I advise in my hardware tuning guide that it be increased until paging
starts, then reduce it, and start around 25%.  Is that OK?