Re: Non-linear Performance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug Fields
Subject Re: Non-linear Performance
Date
List pgsql-general
I have my Dual P4-Xeon 2.4 ghz 8gb RAM Adaptec SCSI RAID 5 PostgreSQL
server coming in Friday, from my vendor POGO Linux (highly recommended). I
expect most of the 8gb to be used by buffer cache directly by the operating
system. I will let you know how it compares to the dual P3-1ghz 2GB IDE
RAID 1 server we use now.

The server cost just over half the price of a DB2 enterprise single-CPU
license. Thank god for Postgres!

My biggest fear is that the added CPU speed will be sub-linear, and that
the real speed improvement would come if PG would multi-thread individual
queries.

Cheers,

Doug