Re: Non-linear Performance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter A. Daly
Subject Re: Non-linear Performance
Date
List pgsql-general
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>I am curious how you are going to address >4 gig of RAM on a 32-bit
>system, especially if you want to address it all from the same process.

Frankly, I don't know.  I have been told the machine can hold 8 gig of
ram.  I have heard rumors about how Linux plays some games with how it
allocates memory to use over 4 gigs of memory. but have no direct
knowledge myself of the matter.  Something alongs the lines of a single
process being able to use up to 4 gig of memory.  Not sure on the
specifics.  Looks like we will not be upgrading the database server for
at least another 60 days (the postgres one at least), and the dual Xeon
(Quad soon?) may have another purpose.  We have a 1.5tb file
server/image rendering machine that is out of space for expansion.  The
Xeon has enough PCI slots to let us add more RAID arrays for a lot
longer, where the current server is out of slots.  This being the case,
I have stopped trying to milk speed out of postgres on that machine.

On the positive side of this, I may get a higher end Quad Xeon after
July for the next Postgres box.  We have our eyes on Quad 700mhx Xeon,
8gig ram boxes.

-Pete