Re: [GENERAL] Solution to UPDATE...INSERT problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lincoln Yeoh
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Solution to UPDATE...INSERT problem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
AFAIK the "except" select won't see other inserts in uncommitted
transactions. If those transactions are committed you will end up with the
same problem. You can try it yourself, by manually doing two separate
transactions in psql.

You either have to lock the whole table, or lock at the application layer.
Some time back I suggested a "lock on arbitrary string" feature for
postgresql for this and various other purposes, but that feature probably
wouldn't scale in terms of management (it requires 100% cooperation amongst
all apps/clients involved).

There's no "select * from table where pkey=x for insert;" which would block
on uncommitted inserts/updates of pkey=x and other selects for insert/update.

In contrast "select ... for update" blocks on committed stuff.

Regards,
Link.