Re: pg_dump and large files - is this a problem? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Philip Warner
Subject Re: pg_dump and large files - is this a problem?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 10:16 AM 21/10/2002 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>What are
>the odds that dumping the bytes in it, in either order, will produce
>something that's compatible with any other platform?

None, but it will be compatible with itself (the most we can hope for), and
will work even if shifting is not supported for off_t (how likely is
that?). I agree shift is definitely the way to go if it works on arbitrary
data - ie. it does not rely on off_t being an integer. Can I shift a struct?

Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|                                 |    --________--
PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/