Re: VACUUM, 24/7 availability and 7.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Denis Gasparin
Subject Re: VACUUM, 24/7 availability and 7.2
Date
List pgsql-general

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=vacuum&hl=en&group=comp.databases.postgresql.hackers&rnum=1&selm=12833.990140724%40sss.pgh.pa.us

> >> (sorry about the long URL); how far advanced are they,
>
>It's long since done.

==>> This means that it will not be included in 7.2? I've read 7.2
documentation on line and i've seen that the VACUUM command is changed:
now, when run in normal mode (giving to the backend the VACUUM command
without any parameter), the tables don't need to be locked  and also that
the command does not minimize the space of the database (as instead the
actual 7.1.3 VACUUM does). From the documentation:

-----
Plain VACUUM (without FULL) simply reclaims space and makes it available
for re-use. This form of the command can operate in parallel with normal
reading and writing of the table. VACUUM FULL does more extensive
processing, including moving of tuples across blocks to try to compact the
table to the minimum number of disk blocks. This form is much slower and
requires an exclusive lock on each table while it is being processed.
-----

This way to do is similar (but not equal) to the LAZY VACUUM specified by
Tom Lane in the above link...

In conclusion, the new VACUUM command as described above will be include in
the 7.2 version of Postgresql?

Denis Gasparin: denis@edistar.com
Programmer & System Administrator - Edistar srl