Re: Indexes not used in 7.1RC4: Bug? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Swan
Subject Re: Indexes not used in 7.1RC4: Bug?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 4/10/2001 02:42 PM, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
>Hmm. The problem is as you describe, but the requirements for a solution
>are more severe than you (or I) would hope.
>
>We would like to have an extensible mechanism for type promotion and
>demotion, but it is not (yet) clear how to implement it. In this case,
>we must demote a constant assigned as "int4" by the parser into an
>"int2" to be directly comparable to the indexed column. We could
>probably do this with some hack code as a brute-force exercise, but no
>one has yet bothered (patches welcome ;) But in general, we must handle
>the case that the specified constraint is *not* directly convertible to
>the indexed type (e.g. is out of range) even though this would seem to
>reduce to a choice between a trivial noop or a sequential scan of the
>entire table. If we can do this without cluttering up the code too much,
>we should go ahead and do it, but it has apparently been a low priority.

What about going the other way around... Promote the int2 to an int4
(lossless).  Actually for all int1,int2 datatypes (regardless of whether it
was the constant or the column) you could promote all to a common int4 and
then do comparisons.   Promoting all to int8 and then doing a comparison
would be excessively slow.