Re: How can I view the definition of an existing trigger? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ryan Mahoney
Subject Re: How can I view the definition of an existing trigger?
Date
List pgsql-general
Use pg_dump to dump your schema as a text file
(/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -s > my_schema.sql).  This text file should
contain *all* of the data that creates the schema of your database,
including triggers and stored procedures.  I think this should work  ;)

-Ryan

At 09:18 AM 8/13/01 -0400, wsheldah@lexmark.com wrote:

>Thanks for the reply.  I checked pg_trigger, but it only seems to have
>information *about* the trigger, and not the actual text of the trigger
>command.
>As far as I can tell, the only way for me to hang on to trigger definitions is
>to put the create trigger commands in a file that I then source into psql.  As
>for triggers already created, my best bet may be to drop what's there and
>recreate it so I know exactly what it does.  Unless anyone has a better
>idea....
>

>Justin Clift <justin%postgresql.org@interlock.lexmark.com> on 08/11/2001
>04:59:52 PM
>
>To:   "Wesley_Sheldahl/Lex/Lexmark.LEXMARK"@sweeper.lex.lexmark.com
>cc:    (bcc: Wesley Sheldahl/Lex/Lexmark)
>Subject:  Re: [GENERAL] How can I view the definition of an existing trigger?
>

>Hi Wes,
>
>Not sure exactly, but in theory it would be stored in one of
>PostgreSQL's special pg_* tables.  So, also in theory, if you can
>isolate where they're stored, you might be able to find it.
>
>:-)
>
>Regards and best wishes,
>
>Justin Clift
>

>wsheldah@lexmark.com wrote:
> >
> > Is there any way short of a full database dump to view the "CREATE TRIGGER"
> > statement of a trigger after it's been created, preferable via a
> command line
> > tool like psql?  Is it accessible via any of the GUI tools out
> there?  Thanks,
> >
> > Wes

>--
>"My grandfather once told me that there are two kinds of people: those
>who work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the
>first group; there was less competition there."
>    - Indira Gandhi

>http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html
>

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.