Re: WAL & ZFS - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Mladen Gogala
Subject Re: WAL & ZFS
Date
Re: WAL & ZFS  (Rui DeSousa <rui@crazybean.net>)
List pgsql-admin
On 3/30/22 17:32, Scott Ribe wrote:
I've read all the info I could find re running PG on ZFS: turn off full page writes, turn on lz4, tweak recordsize so as to take advantage of compression, etc. One thing I haven't seen is whether a separate volume for WAL would benefit from a larger recordsize. Or any other tweaks???

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com

Phoronix has tested ZFS against Ext3, Ext4 and XFS. ZFS was consistently performing worse than all other file systems. Here is the test with Oracle:

https://blog.docbert.org/oracle-on-zfs/

Here are several articles that caution against ZFS:

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/very-slow-zfs-raidz2-performance-on-truenas-12.33094/

https://serverfault.com/questions/791154/zfs-good-read-but-poor-write-speeds

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu1910-ext4-zfs&num=3

And finally, this: https://storytime.ivysaur.me/posts/why-not-zfs/

I would consider Linux ZFS only for toy databases that do not hold any serious data.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant