Re: adding partitioned tables to publications - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Petr Jelinek
Subject Re: adding partitioned tables to publications
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 04/04/2020 07:25, Tom Lane wrote:
> Petr Jelinek <petr@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> On 03/04/2020 17:51, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> But the forked-off children have to write the gcov files independently,
>>> don't they?
>
>> Hmm that's very good point. I did see these missing coverage issue when
>> running tests that explicitly start more instances of postgres before
>> though. And with some quick googling, parallel testing seems to be issue
>> with gcov for more people.
>
> I poked around and found this:
>
> https://gcc.gnu.org/legacy-ml/gcc-help/2005-11/msg00074.html
>
> which says
>
>      gcov instrumentation is multi-process safe, but not multi-thread
>      safe. The multi-processing safety relies on OS level file locking,
>      which is not available on some systems.
>
> That would explain why it works for me, but then there's a question
> of why it doesn't work for you ...

Hmm, I wonder if it has something to do with docker then (I rarely run
any tests directly on the main system nowadays). But that does not
explain why it does not work for Amit either.

--
Petr Jelinek
2ndQuadrant - PostgreSQL Solutions for the Enterprise