Overly specific error message? - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Rob Sargent
Subject Overly specific error message?
Date
List pgsql-jdbc

Using PG 10.7 and JDBC org.postgresql:postgresql:42.1.4

I had only a single slash between postgresql: and the host

jdbc:postgresql:/some.host.name:5432

I got

org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "some-name"

Naturally I tested and re-tested connecting manually as that user and with the supplied password.  Eventually of course I started looking around a little more thoroughly...

I wonder if the message needs to be specifically about password authentication?