Re: Add tracking of backend memory allocated to pg_stat_activity - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Drouvot, Bertrand
Subject Re: Add tracking of backend memory allocated to pg_stat_activity
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 9/1/22 3:28 AM, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> At Wed, 31 Aug 2022 12:05:55 -0500, Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote in
>> On Wed, Aug 31, 2022 at 12:03:06PM -0400, Reid Thompson wrote:
>>> Hi Hackers,
>>>
>>> Attached is a patch to
>>> Add tracking of backend memory allocated

Thanks for the patch.

+ 1 on the idea.

>>> +  proargmodes => '{i,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o,o}',
>> In the past, there was concern about making pg_stat_activity wider by
>> adding information that's less-essential than what's been there for
>> years.  This is only an int64, so it's not "wide", but I wonder if
>> there's another way to expose this information?  Like adding backends to
> The view looks already too wide to me.  I don't want the numbers for
> metrics are added to the view.

+1 for a dedicated view.

While we are at it, what do you think about also recording the max
memory allocated by a backend? (could be useful and would avoid sampling
for which there is no guarantee to sample the max anyway).

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team