Re: [HACKERS] drop support for Python 2.3 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: [HACKERS] drop support for Python 2.3
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2/7/17 10:49 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I would like to propose that we drop support for Python 2.3.
>> We do have buildfarm coverage on prairiedog.  However, that runs a >10
>> year old operating system, so I think it is not representing real usage.
> I have no particular objection to dropping 2.3 support, but should we
> make some effort to fail gracefully (ie, with a relevant error message)
> on older versions?  I would guess that the effect of your patch will be
> to produce quite opaque failures.  We seem to be computing python_version
> in configure, so it shouldn't be that hard to check.

Except AFAIK that won't protect the user if something on the OS changes
and backends suddenly start loading a 2.3 library, though I guess pl/tcl
suffers the same problem.

BTW, the easy way to check this (at least with cypthon) would be
PY_VERSION_HEX >= 0x02040000

(from cpython/include/patchlevel.h)
/* Version as a single 4-byte hex number, e.g. 0x010502B2 == 1.5.2b2.   Use this for numeric comparisons, e.g. #if
PY_VERSION_HEX>= ... */

#define PY_VERSION_HEX ((PY_MAJOR_VERSION << 24) | \        (PY_MINOR_VERSION << 16) | \        (PY_MICRO_VERSION <<
8)| \        (PY_RELEASE_LEVEL <<  4) | \        (PY_RELEASE_SERIAL << 0))

855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)