Re: UUID generation problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: UUID generation problem
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/5/20 9:19 AM, Paul Förster wrote:
> Hi James,
>
>> On 05. Oct, 2020, at 17:57, James B. Byrne <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca> wrote:
>>
>> [root@accounting-2 ~ (master)]# psql --dbname=idempiere
>> --username=idempiere_dbadmin
>> Password for user idempiere_dbadmin:
>> psql (11.8)
>> Type "help" for help.
>>
>> idempiere=# select current_schemas(true);
>>     current_schemas
>> ------------------------
>> {adempiere,pg_catalog}
>> (1 row)
>>
>> idempiere=# select uuid_generate_v4();
>> ERROR:  function uuid_generate_v4() does not exist
>> LINE 1: select uuid_generate_v4();
>>                ^
>> HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need to
>> add explicit type casts.
>> idempiere=# select public.uuid_generate_v4();
>>            uuid_generate_v4
>> --------------------------------------
>> 066e3298-3c91-4079-98ee-2b279bfc4025
>> (1 row)
>
> just out of curiosity, what does the search_path contain? It needs not necessarily reflect the contents of
current_schemas,see the following example:

> postgres=# select current_schemas(true);
>         current_schemas
> ------------------------------
>   {pg_catalog,postgres,public}
> (1 row)
>
> postgres=# select current_schemas(false);
>    current_schemas
> -------------------
>   {postgres,public}
> (1 row)
>
> postgres=# show search_path;
>     search_path
> -----------------
>   "$user", public
> (1 row)

Actually it does:

 From the prompt I'm guessing you are logging in as 'postgres' user. In
that case "$user" will become postgres and you will get:

postgres=# select current_schemas(false);
   current_schemas
  {postgres,public}

The current_schemas(true) case will include implicit schemas that are
'always'(as I'm sure that someone will come up with the exception) there.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com