Re: how much ram do i give postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Josh Close
Subject Re: how much ram do i give postgres?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:47:25 +0100, Gary Doades <gpd@gpdnet.co.uk> wrote:
> What about triggers? Also constraints (check contraints, integrity
> constraints) All these will slow the inserts/updates down.

No triggers or constraints. There are some foreign keys, but the
tables that have the inserts don't have anything to them, even
indexes, to help speed up the inserts.

> If you have integrity constraints make sure you have indexes on the
> referenced columns in the referenced tables and make sure the data
> types are the same.
>
> How long does 100,000 rows take to insert exactly?

I believe with the bulk inserts, 100k only takes a couple mins.

> How many updates are you performing each hour?

I'm not sure about this. Is there a pg stats table I can look at to
find this out..... I suppose I could do a count on the time stamp
also. I'll let you know when I find out.